Just before the strict lockdowns hit us here in Sydney and the craziness of this pandemic took over our lives, I got to visit with the Nespresso team and get introduced to the brand new Nespresso Vertuo machine. Packed with the niftiest of features in one easy to use machone, it’s been a lifesaver during isolation so I thought I’d share a little info about it with you all.
- Create up to five cup sizes with VERTUO, including Espresso (40ml), Double Espresso (80ml), Gran Lungo (150ml), Mug (230ml) and Alto (414ml).
- Every VERTUO coffee capsule is designed with a unique barcode, which is read by the machine to match each cup size.
- Using with the Aeroccino Milk Frother along with their Vertuo machine, coffee lovers in Australia can create all their favourite café style coffees from macchiatos to flat whites from the comfort of their own home.
- From the capsule to the machine, we combine the latest technology with quality, speed and smart designs for an effortless, state-of-the-art coffee experience.
- Vertuo capsules are instantly recognised by the machine using the intelligent barcode technology, which is read by the machine to match each cup size and extract the perfect volume.
- We’ve engineered our machines to pair just the right amount of water and pressure to produce consistent high-quality flavour, aroma and frothy crema.
- The Vertuo machine uses innovative centrifusion technology to brew the perfect cup of coffee in five different sizes.
- The 27 exceptional blends in the permanent VERTUO range are crafted from some of the finest coffee producing regions across the globe.
- The VERTUO coffee range contains an array of intensities and taste profiles, whether you like your coffee rich and intense or fruity and winey, there’s something for everyone.
- Nespresso is proud of what they call the ‘bean to cup’ journey that ensures every cup of Nespresso coffee is nothing short of extraordinary; excellence and sustainability permeates all aspects of their value chain, from the farms where the coffee is grown to the moment you take that first sip.
Capsule recycling process
- Nespresso is committed to being part of the sustainable coffee economy in Australia.
- Used Nespresso capsules are sent to a specialist recycling plant in Nowra, where the aluminium is separated from the residual coffee.
- The coffee is then sent to an industrial composting facility to be transformed into compost, while the aluminium is recycled and sent back to the aluminium industry to produce new aluminium products.
There are currently four ways of recycling your used Nespresso capsules:
- Participate in the bulk recycling collection initiative where workplaces or community locations can become a recycling point
- Return your used capsules to your local Nespresso Boutique
- Drop them off at a participating florist partner
- For those further afield, post your used capsules back to Nespresso using a special pre-paid Australia post satchel
- Nespresso capsules are made of aluminium, making them 100% recyclable.
- Nespresso chooses to use aluminium to package its coffee as it is an infinitely recyclable material.
- When you send your capsule on its journey to a second life there are limitless options in terms of what it may come back as.
- Nespresso has even created swiss army knives, pens and bikes using recycled capsules!
- Aluminium is also the best material available to protect the quality of Nespresso’s coffee against factors such as oxygen, light and humidity.
A fantastic initiative is the Nespresso AAA Sustainable Quality™ Program, which fosters long-term relationships with farmers. It helps farmers to work in a more sustainable way, develop strong businesses that benefit their families and communities and produce high-quality coffee year after year ensuring the envoriment is cared for in the process.
I hope you enjoy your morning coffee moments like I have been on your brand new Nespresso Vertuo.
Social media handles
- Instagram: @nespresso
- Facebook: @Nespresso.AU
- Website: nespresso.com/au/en/
Words by Arrnott Olssen